Thursday, July 30, 2009

Smile & Move

An email arrived today with a link that said "Smile and Move" video, so I clicked on it. A very pleasant surprise popped up.



The website says that "Smile & Move gives you a simple (and fun) way to remind yourself and others of the core fundamentals that lead to better work, better relationships, and better results -- a message that reinforces what we know we need to do."

So I printed two of the posters and hung them in my cubicle at work. The first poster is "Smile, be Happy". It has five points:

Wake up.
Show others you care by giving attention to their needs.
Be thankful.
The opportunity to serve is a gift... not an entitlement.
Be approachable.
We're at each other's service, and contact is where it starts.
Complain less.
We've got work to do.
Smile. Really.
It's where pleasantness begins.


The second poster is "Move, do Something". It has four points:

Start early & go long.
Get lost in your service to others.
Exceed expectations.
Dismiss mediocrity. Expect more from yourself.
Have a sense of urgency.
Predict and pre-sweat the details for others.
Be resourceful & resilient.
Service is about giving someone what they need... no matter what.

The reaction around the office was immediate. They saw the word move and leapt to a conclusion.

"You're leaving?"

I should've known. After all, no one really reads posted signs in the Evil Corporation. That's why signs like "Flush twice. it's a long way to the cafeteria" are merely ironic statements of fact, and others like "Real Men flush" have already missed the mark (pun intended).

Since no one in my immediate office reads this blog, I'll tell you that I have been looking for another job. It's true. It's just not the reason I hung up the "smile and move" posters. It's OK by me if they think I'm off interviewing when I leave work because it means they won't be asking me questions about signing up for a dance lessons. Yep, you heard that right. It's real dancing -and not the kind I normally do to mock Republicans. I hope the instructors have steel-toed shoes coz they're gonna need 'em :-)

12 comments:

bindhiya said...

Dear Skeeter,
That is a beautiful message..
"Smile & Move"
Have a good day..
♥ & ((hugs))
bindi

Anonymous said...

Dance classes- good on you! Looking forward to hearing your progress.

'Smile and Move'- great message; memorable because it is uncomplicated. I don't do this enough. Serving others does make you change your focus as long as it does not put you in an abusive situation.

Suzanne said...

Do you love those two as much as I do?

What a great post. You made me think, so watch out, my head just might explode! Good luck with your job search and I hope you find what you're looking for. I really do honey.

The kittens are doing fine. They're in the master bedroom currently and I'm about to go in and sleep with them. I can't imagine the pain their mom is feeling tonight, nor the pain they're in. They seem to find comfort in me, so I'm off.

Much love to you and your family.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hiya Skeeter. Am I too cynical to wonder exactly who or what organization is behind the Smile and Move campaign? My guess would be either Walmart or Scientology, LOL!

Mel said...

Good on you!!

What awesome posters. Now--I'm gonna haffta go click the link and indulge!! (oh, but I just know it'll be an awesome indulgence!!)

zirelda said...

I like the message the posters send.

And isn't it hard to work for evil corporations? You must be one with the borg....

Grass said...

Exceeds expectations. I like this one the best because the world, unfortunately, is full of mediocrity what with people going lazy and very particular with outside appearance. I mean, I walk in the malls and I seldom see people who read anymore.. where are the world's thinkers? Tsk tsk...

Anyway, I'm glad you're moving on.. Keep it easy buddy..

Take care!

Leni Qinan said...

Dear Skeeter,
Thanks for the 'Smile and move' video. It's really encouraging and it contains good advice. It's nice to hear you're thinking positive.

Good luck with the job search and with the dance lessons!

Take care.

Maria said...

It is tough to work for the evil empire....

Me said...

Beautiful message :) Thanks a lot for sharing them in your post.

Aha! dance classes!! :)

Kookaburra said...

Great post. Great message.
Dance your cares away!

Technonana said...

LOVE YOU, SKEETER!! Just keep Dancin'!!
You'll love this, my word verification????
FOREST!