Thursday, May 15, 2008

Taking The Challenge

Made a dinner stop At Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, PA. It's a happy little town on the downhill side of Interstate 80's highest point (east of the Mississippi) near Exit 111 by Penfield, PA. For all the things they've got to proud of Clearfield, the Guinness World Record certificate at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub has got to rank right up there at the top. How many good time restuarants do you know of that can make AND serve upthe World's Largest Hambeurger?



Another thing that Denny's Beer Barrel Pub is really proud of is their eating challenges. You can read about the most famous challenge on a sign right out front.



Not all the food served at Denny's is a challenge. Here are a couple of hamburgers that we ordered during this visit.

A burger with a one pound patty of elk.



A burger with a one pound patty of ostridge.



Those hamburgers weren't for me. The challenge? Eat this burger with a two pound patty in an hour. You must eat this titanic burger without the benefit of silverware. Bare hands grabbing with maximum biting and chewing to follow. I accepted challenge! I almost fainted when it came to the table.



Here is where I surrendered. Woe, shame and the agony of defeat. I was jut over halfway through the meal in fourty minutes. The bread and vegetables were yummy. There was more sauces (mayo, etc.) and peppers than I'd hoped for. The meat was a little more like a meatloaf than I had expected, but it was all good.



I live to eat another day.

On another note ... I'm so sorry that we didn't not arrive early enough in Arkansas to meet Bindi, her husband and happy baby in person. Mrs. Skeeter and I will stop by and say "Hi!" on our next visit to Arkansas. Bindi is oneof the most gracious and charming people I have ever spoken with. Mrs. Skeeterand I are looking forward to meeting Bindi and her family in the future.

8 comments:

leahsimone said...

Skeeter, is that YOU behind the humonglorgulous burger? How exciting! And the burger is terrifying. It looks like you manned up, but of COURSE you couldn't finish it! MY LORD MAN who could? Well, someone, I guess...ulp.


Bindi is so lovely, isn't she? Bindi, are your ears burning now?

TerriRainer said...

Holy COW! That thing is huge (don'tcha love it when a woman says that to you???).

Have a safe trip!

:) Terri

david mcmahon said...

Now THAT is some burger!! You would love our Australian pubs!

bindhiya said...

Dear Skeeter,
I am looking forward to meet you and family too..Thank you for calling me..It was really nice to talk to you.....
Hope you had a Wonderful Wedding Anniversary!!

What a challenge... I saw this in food network...when we had a cable connection...now we don't watch any TV at all...just staying away for Serene...
Talk to you soon..
Love and ((hugs))
bindi

bindhiya said...

Thank you for your kind words about me..
I felt like am talking to a dear friend I know for long time...

Marisa said...

As a reincarnated meat eater, I find that fascinating. As a former vegetarian, I find that frightening. Burger ambivalence...

Suzanne said...

Do they serve veggie burgers?!!! ;)

How do you eat so much and stay so thin? That's what I want to know. Man that thing is huge.

XO

P.S. Bindi's the best. Sorry you we're able to meet

P.P.S. It was wonderful to see your shirt, hand, arm and chin.

Lavinia said...

I am speechless. I have never seen a burger that big. No wonder you could not finish it. Don't worry...even the jolly green giant (ho ho ho) could not have eaten that whopper of a burger.

Holy moly!