Sunday, December 07, 2008

Sleeping With Bread

The examen, based on the spiritual exercises of St. Ignatius, helps a person hold onto what spiritually nourishes him by looking at what is giving him consolation in his life or causing him desolation. It allows someone to express his gratitude to God for the good stuff and turn to him for solace for the bad stuff. It is quite simple. You simply ask yourself, in the last day/week/month what gave me consolation and what caused me desolation.

So, without further ado ...


The Good.


We just found out (officially) that our beloved Sooners will play for another National Championship in football. I live in Norman and the mood here is jublilant. We have played for four National Championships since 2000 and our record isn't the best. We won one and absolutely got smoked in the rest. Well, this is how we live and die in Oklahoma - Crimson and Cream.

My Son is attending the University of Rochester and is on the school Swim Team. He was born in Norman Regional Hospital and lived his first two years in married student housing on the campus University of Oklahoma. Unfortunately, OU doesn't have a swim team. Our arch rivals, the University of Texas, Texas A&M University and the University of Missouri all do though.




Miss Sunshine. I love you more than I can say.



The Bad.



Stress. These last few weeks have difficult.




Yes, the dental drill. Woe was me ... ouch!




Stupid people who litter. Please pick up your soiled baby diapers and dispose of them properly. It's not THAT hard!

9 comments:

TerriRainer said...

My post tonight after the BCS show was centered around the Sooners too!

BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

:) Terri

kylie said...

hey skeeter,
i like this post

wanna comment more but must run.....

maybe later
cheers

Me said...

De-stress Mr. Happiness and Sunshine's gonna stay forever :)

Suzanne said...

People are pigs. Why? I have no freakin' clue. I remember being on the UC Berkeley campus. I smoked for a few years and was walking past Moffit Library and put out my cig on the pavement. The guy behind me walked up and said "The earth is not your personal dump." It changed my life. I didn't feel comfortable putting out my cig on the pavement, nor with smoking. He doesn't know, but he changed my life and I'm forever grateful. Humiliation is sometimes necessary. I never disposed of a cig in that manner again and I stopped smoking within weeks. Thanks my dear friend.

Disposing of a diaper in that manner is just too odd. There must be a trash can near by.

Go Sooners!

I remember when Rob said, "Why's his son is Rochester? Oklahoma must have a swim team." My reply, "Nope." His reply "Are you kidding?" Nope!!!

I love the photo that accompanies the tribute to your wife because I drew one very similar. I'll have to post it. I thought is was just me, but apparently not. I also love the fact you love your wife, but you already know that. I'm so happy to see the two of you are resolving whatever ailed you.

I took a photo of the same red numbers. Mine are better. I didn't think they would be, but I don't eat red meat or any meat for that matter!!! And my BMI is perfection!!! Oh, and I might add, my waste is way below 34 (apparently the red zone!), so I'm hopeful I'll live. I'll cross my fingers for you. That top number is a bit of a worry. Are you on meds or was it recommended you take Yoga, listen to relaxation tapes and meditate?

I have to visit the dentist. Shut up. I know the drill.

Much love to you both,
Suze

Technonana said...

Pulling for the Sooners!!!
and the dirty diaper... that's not litter, that just plain NASTY!!
Sorry for the stress in your life... but you know.. Jesus said He is the bread of life.. and bread is one of my favorite comfort foods!!! More than happy to share Him with You!!
Love to you and yours!!
Sharon

CC said...

Yuck to the dental work and EWWWW to the diaper!!

Elizabeth said...

Welcome to SWB! I am terrified of the dentist, so I feel your pain.

sharilyn said...

ah the dentist...i feel your pain. no, really. still feeling pain from that nasty root canal last thursday! i pray yours was/shall not be so! :)

Kookaburra said...

G'day skeeter,
Thanks for this post. I am experiencing a few difficulties concerning my church life at the moment and this post is a good reminder as to how to spiritually deal with what has occurred. Namely that our major church hall tennant, the ballet school, has suddenly relocated to new premises for next year. I have just arrived home from a vestry meeting and I have had a couple of whiskeys too. So i guess that what I am saying isn't really very coherent and perhaps i shouldn't have mentioned my concerns here.

Anyhoo, on a brighter note, I wish your football team well for the National Championship.

Like you I can't stand it when people leave their litter in the streets. It always amazez me how water / booze bottles, plastic bags and paper litter my local streets. I often pick up litter on way to / from the railway station each day. There always seems to be more litter after a weekend.
Pleas excuse this ramble. Delete if you want.